How can I help prevent my GPS signal dropping out or improve GPS signal?
There are a number of steps you can try to follow to help prevent signal loss, or improve overall signal.
To prevent GPS signal issues:
- Where possible avoid environments which could affect signal such as dense forests, canyons and heavily urbanised areas.
- Reduce or remove anything that may be obstructing the phone's signal by removing from a bag or not recording activities whilst indoors
To try and improve GPS signal:
- Check location services are enabled on your phone
- Try turning your phone on/off again if no GPS signal is present before starting an activity
- Try disabling & enabling GPS data
- Where possible, avoid using battery saver mode
- Make sure OS Maps has access to your phone's location by going to your phone's settings, selecting OS Maps, and enabling location permissions
- Make sure your phone is updated to the latest available software in system settings
- Check that the latest version of OS Maps is installed by updating from the app store
As there are a wide variety of different phones and wearable devices, we'd also recommended reviewing the manufacturer's documentation on how to improve GPS data for specific devices.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!